Saturday, June 15, 2013

Gardening, more specifically, weeding.


So, you probably shouldn't read this post unless you want to read a lengthy, pointless rant.  You have been warned, I am kind of on one today.
Saturday are always a great day right?  Well, when I was a youngish child, Saturdays used to be a dread for me.  Why?  Because, Saturdays meant working in the yard.  You may be thinking, "So what Andy?"  Basically, I hate yard work.  There are a few chores in the yard that I don't mind.  However, the vast majority of outdoor projects are the bane of my existence.  People used to say things like, "You will learn to love it," or "it is such a great way to spend time outdoors."  What do I say to that?  After 21 years it has yet to grow on me and I can spend time outdoors in a much more pleasant environment than hot, sweaty, and covered in dirt - thank you.
I must say, mowing the lawn is a chore that has grown on me some.  I used to detest it.  But, when mowing the lawn in the evening or morning (not in the heat of day) it isn't too bad.  Part of my dislike may stem from my distaste from the heat.  I love summer evenings and nights but the 90 or 100-degree days kill me.  
The worst chore ever?  Probably weeding the vegetable garden.  I love doing flowerpots and small planter gardens.  They are great.  The flowers quickly cover the majority of the soil making life for noxious weeds nearly impossible.  AWESOME!!!   We have a fairly large vegetable garden in our yard.  It is really fun to eat the fresh produce.  But, the weeding is probably a creation of Satan himself.  Gardening in theory seems so appealing to me.  The thought of nurturing and caring for small plants or seeds until they reach maturity sounds very enticing to me.  I actually love caring for our flowerpots.  But, I just detest weeding.
I do love spending time outdoors when the weather is cool or the sun is low in the sky.  It is beautiful and so alluring.
Today I got to buy 2000 ladybugs and spread them throughout our yard.  That was really fun.  There are positives in any situation – it is true.  It may just be my attitude and the fact that I may not want to find those positives, but I just despise weeding the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment