Tuesday, March 12, 2013

"A Happy Family is but an Earlier Heaven." - George Bernard Shaw

My family is so important to me.  I think I all too often take them or granted.  Having recently returned from an LDS mission, I saw and helped a lot of people who weren't fortunate enough to have a family like mine.  I have spent many nights up late wondering why I have been so blessed.  Each person in this world is so different.  We each have different skills, abilities, fear, joys, hobbies, appearances, ambitions, desires, beliefs, trials, and personalities.  This is no less true in my little family.  I am grateful for each one of them.  Each of them has unique things that have blessed my life.

Dad - I definitely took my father for granted growing up.  On my mission I realized just how wonderful he is.  I have always loved him, but I didn't realize just how amazing he is.  My father is a rock, always doing what is right.  He has a heart of gold.  My father is a provider.  He cares about each one of his children and his wife.  He loves BYU football and basketball.  I have oftentimes felt bad for him that I didn't pick up on that hobby too.  Just not my thing I guess.  I love his funny sense of humor and when he gets into his goofy moods.  I love watching cooking shows with him - especially "Good Eats."  I love how grounded my father is.  I love my father.

Mom - My mother is a saint.  I honestly cannot name someone who is more charitable than my mother. She has always been so supportive of me.  I remember one time while visiting her parents in ID, my grandmother was complaining about some of the choices some of her children were making.  I responded by defending my mother and listing off some of her qualities that I thought most important.  She responded by saying, "your mother is all of those things, but the most important thing your mom is is a mother - and a good one."  That has always stuck with me.  I am so fortunate to have a good mother.  She is so funny.  I love when we get in our teasing, joking moods with each other.  She has taught me the importance of righteousness.  I love my mother.

Nicole - Nicole is my best friend.  I love her so much.  She has helped me through so many things.  Nicole is one of the people whom I admire most.  She is so strong.  She sometimes puts on this facade that hides her true strength, but if you can peel back a little ways, you will find a true diamond.  She is so funny in her own adorable way.  She is a peacemaker.  She is loyal.  She is artistic.  She is thoughtful.  She is wise. I miss her so much when she isn't here with us.  I love Nicole.

Christopher - My only brother.  Christopher is so smart.  I must admit - I'm jealous.  But, "we can't all be acupuncturists."  Christopher is extremely talented.  He has some very great skills that will make him a great contribution to society.  Growing up, and sometimes still, we didn't always get along the best.  I think at times it was almost more an issue of similarity opposed to dissimilarity.  We are very different, but we are also very much alike.  He can be so funny.  He loves to have fun and enjoy life - something I think I need to learn from him.  I love Christopher.

Alison - Alison melts my heart.  She is a sweetheart.  She is so loving.  Alison is hilarious.  She is a real crack-up.  I love her cute sense of humor, her sweet little giggle, and funny faces.  Alison thinks of others.  I love how when she gets focused on something it is nearly impossible to peel her away.  She is so goofy.  Sometimes she gets into her "princess mode," but we still love her.  :)  I sometimes wish I knew how to help her realize her true worth.  She is amazing!  I love Alison.

No comments:

Post a Comment